Fire at Gargunnock Distillery – August 11th 1899

 

AUGUST 11th 1899.  FIRE AT GARGUNNOCK DISTILLERY.

On Monday evening the Stirling Fire Brigade were called out by telegram to a fire at Glenfoyle Distillery, Gargunnock. The fire, it seems, broke out in the engine house about six o’clock and was caused by the joint of a pipe giving way and allowing oil to the red hot vapouriser of the gas engine. The flames immediately spread to the woodwork, and every effort was made to put them out, but meanwhile it was considered advisable to wire for the fire Brigade. The fire was soon got under control and when the firemen arrived their services were fortunately not required. The damage is estimated at about £30 and is covered by insurance.